Pretty Links Whether you’re a blogger, social maven or an affiliate marketer managing your links can be challenging. The choice is usually between giving up all control over your links to a third party link shrinking service or rolling out your own php script or apache directives to hack together some redirects. Using a 3rd party service or rolling out your own redirection software both have some serious drawbacks. Using a third party can be appealing in some ways but it can hurt your credibility and in the end you have no guarantee you’ll always have access to your links. Rolling your own solution can take time (even if you have the technical chops to do this), can be difficult to manage and is usually very difficult to track.
Pretty Link makes managing your social links, redirects and affiliate links much easier. Its a WordPress plugin so all you have to do is upload a zip file to your website, activate it and you’re creating links using your website. It combines the ease of use of a third party solution with the power of a custom solution — Pretty Link makes it simple for you to shrink, cloak, track and share your links.
Pretty Link is WordPress plugin (the lite version is free and all you need to get started), and it cleans up your longer affiliate links so they become shorter, easier to share and much easier to remember. This is especially helpful if you’re mentioning affiliate links within podcast episodes or YouTube videos, or even in live situations on stage or while on a broadcast.
Plus, the plugin keeps track of the number of clicks for each Pretty Link you create. For example, I promote LeadPages from time to time on my website. The affiliate link that is provided to me from LeadPages, after signing up for their affiliate program, is: http://link.leadpages.net/aff_c?offer_id=6&aff_id=1212
There’s a lot going on here in the link, and of course it would be silly for me to share it the way it is on a podcast or YouTube video. Even including it as is within an email can be a little off-putting for some, too. Thanks to Pretty Link, I can shorten and customize the URL so it’s easy to remember, share, and track: pretty link leadpages So now, the link becomes: http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/leadpagess
Pretty Link Pro plugin offer a few more things in the way of features. For instance you can get more detailed click reports, create conversion reports, export click database and you also get access to some social sharing tools for your links, all with Pretty Link Pro.
- Gives you the ability to create clean, simple URLs on your website that redirect to any other URL
- Generates random 2-3 character slugs for your URL or allows you to name a custom slug for your URL
- Tracks the Number of Hits per link
- Tracks the Number of Unique Hits per link
- Provides a reporting interface where you can see a configurable chart of clicks per day. This report can be filtered by the specific link clicked, date range, and/or unique clicks.
- View click details including ip address, remote host, browser (including browser version), operating system, and referring site
- Download hit details in CSV format
- Pass custom parameters to your scripts through pretty link and still have full tracking ability
- Ability to rewrite these custom Parameters before forwarding to Target URL
- Setup Pretty Links as Tracking Pixels and track impressions
- Exclude IP Addresses from Stats
- Enables you to post your Pretty Links to Twitter directly from your WordPress admin
- Enables you to send your Pretty Links via Email directly from your WordPress admin
- Select Temporary (307) or Permanent (301) redirection for your Pretty Links
- Cookie based system for tracking visitor activity across hits
- Organize Links into Groups
- Create nofollow/noindex links
- Turn tracking on / off on each link
- Keep users on your site even when being redirected by using the PrettyBar which stays at the top of the page
- Configure the PrettyBar to mirror the look and feel of your website
Great things you can do with Pretty Link
- Clean up / mask affiliate links or merchant shopping cart links
- Track the effectiveness of email campaigns by embedding Pretty Links in your emails
- See how many times an email is opened by creating a “Tracking Pixel” Pretty Link and embedding it in the email
- Kickstart and Fuel the SEO on your site by posting Pretty Links from your site on Digg, Twitter, Facebook, other blogs and everywhere else on the Internet.
- Create Pretty Links for private special offers (to your email list) using a randomized slug to prevent the URL from being “guessed”
- Write custom scripts in PHP, Ruby on Rails, ASP or anything else that accept parameters and use Pretty Link to make their URLs “pretty” and forward on the parameters
- Setup pretty links for your zip, pdf & binary files and track how many times they are downloaded
- Use to track results of your PPC campaigns by setting your ads to go to Pretty Links
- Track Everything!